I mean who wrote this (New Knowns)?
You do have to give it to her, she has a perspective. I mean this one is my favorite.
What a hopeful optimism and a zoomed-out perspective on life. She sees beauty. She sees some sort of meaning in the chaos. I marvel at her. Truly. I get why you are friends with me. However, I also can read these and feel so sad for her. I vacillate between envy and embarrassment for her.
Envious of her bravery and positivity. The writing isn’t terrible either. I don’t think I’ve ever considered myself a poet and don’t recall ever writing a poem since the 6th-grade poetry unit so thats cool.
But then within seconds, I’m so embarrassed and sad for her.
I mean does she work for hallmark? Talk about cognitive reframing.* I mean she can really make lemonade, no lemons for that gal and feels hard to live up to.
Question: Was that first blog annoying when you read it? I have personally been offended by it. I offended myself. I bet I offended some of you. A perfectly good response to “New Knowns” could be: I get it I don’t have a child with cancer, but Covid fucking blows. No, I’m not re-imagining the future, I’m just trying to survive the present. Fair reaction.
My reaction is more… get your head out of your ass, hey Ms. Optimism, here are some of the New Knowns for ya. You were right there will be new knowns!
- Roe Vs. Wade is going to be overturned
- Ukraine was invaded (yes…that just happened. No I did not expect that. It was not “to be expected”)
- You will have these crippling depression cycles and the strongest theory going is they are caused by the month of “June.” I mean…that is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard, but yet every year here you are.
- You have a cookie addiction, like legit.
- Homelessness in NYC quadropoled over night.
- School shootings only continue, no longer a “rare moment in time,” but rather a “known”
New knowns. There you go.
*Cognitive reframing: Reading a lot about that. The Dali Lama is quite a remarkable example of this. I enjoyed the documentary on Joy from Desmond Tutu and the Dali Lama. I have had the honor of meeting Desmond Tutu. May he rest in peace. He is a real hero of mine.