At first, I wrote this email to a select few, but as I was about to send, I realized that there are more of you than I probably realize.
If there is one thing I’ve learned through this experience is NO ASSUMPTIONS.
You have no idea what people are going through. You just have no idea.
So for me to assume that I know what you want and wish for in life, is a crazy assumption. I may think from your instagram post that you are living your “best life.” But that is an insane assumption. You may dread every Monday. You may lack purpose in your life. You may be looking for a job even though you don’t work. No assumptions!
And I know this is to be true because you come in to talk about your child, and we end up talking about you. The two are often connected. You speak about “before.” Your law career, your social work career, your jobs before motherhood and how you are looking to go back to work, but you are not the same person.
You are better.
But the world/ law firm, etc doesn’t quite see it that way. After 5 years “off” you may as well never existed, it’s easy to forget you (your not in their face everyday), and even more importantly, you have changed. You can’t go back. They don’t remember you AND YOU don’t remember that YOU. That was the old you.
So often you ask if there is a job at the school. I understand that wish. It makes sense and is practical. You go here everyday, might as well make it a better place. It sucks that I couldn’t use you. Often you hold multiple degrees and are strong women, but we don’t hire parents… it’s complicated.
So here is an opportunity.
And teachers…the many of you who reach out to me to find what is “next.” This may be that next.
Join the ultimate WE. Join the Band of Parents. We work together. We unite.
JOB POSTING BELOW.
NEEDED: Executive Director
Band of Parents (BOP) is a member-based organization (mostly parents of children with Neuroblastoma) who are passionate about finding a cure for this rare and deadly cancer that only strikes children. Our mission is to seek projects that have been examined in the lab, and with assistance, can be moved into a patient population within 12-24 months of funding. Cancer is an isolating disease for anyone, but as families, we have banded together because together, we are stronger and neuroblastoma is not something to face alone, at Band of Parents we are here to support each other.
BOP is the largest private funder of Neuroblastoma research at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) playing a critical role in funding the therapies used in the latest Neuroblastoma protocols at MSKCC. BOP also funds research and projects at other US institutions as well as globally. Other institutions include:
|The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia||Children’s Hospital Los Angeles|
|Montefiore Medical Center||NANT|
|The University of Wisconsin||St Jude Children’s Hospital|
The Executive Director (ED) will lead BOP and run the day-to-day operations of the organization. The ED will work closely with our members, donors, and sponsors to lead BOP’s fundraising events, including the Evening of Hope annual gala and the annual Play Like a Pro hockey game and other seasonal appeals, including working with the Tao Group (Marquee, Tao, Lavo, Avra, etc.) as well as the New York Rangers organization. The ED will also work with the Band of Parents Board in strategic planning to continue to grow the organization.
The Executive Director is a home-based position, but meeting spaces / conference rooms are available as needed at NYC area businesses. There will be a limited amount of travel, as well as meetings to attend in the New York area. It is highly desirable that candidates be based in the New York City area.
The Executive Director will report to the Chairman, President and Board of Directors. Ideal candidates will possess at least five or more years of fundraising and/or sales/event management experience possibly in a health or human services non-profit organization, but potentially a career-changer from the for-profit sector.
This is an annual salary contract position with a stipend provided for health insurance if needed. Annual compensation will include a bonus based upon overall performance. The bonus will be at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
- Create, plan, and execute all donor solicitations, special events, annual solicitation letters, and other fundraising activities.
- Communicate and work with member families on an ongoing basis, advising on their fund-raising initiatives to support the efforts of BOP.
- Grow the organization’s member, donor and prospect base of individuals, corporations and foundations.
- Build and maintain a member/donor database.
- Manage the web site presence to facilitate contributions, information and donor involvement and communication; maintain and increase BOP’s social media presence.
- Manage the organization’s marketing materials and public relations opportunities, including coordinating and producing annual appeal videos.
- Manage all BOP grantmaking activities; including the awarding and implementation process, contracts and grantee reporting.
- Serve as BOP’s interface with grantee agencies.
- Monitor and build the BOP grant recipient base.
- Arrange and participate in visits/tours of grantee institutions for the Board.
Management and Administration
- Coordinate monthly Board meetings, primarily via conference call/video conference, including agenda preparation and meeting minutes.
- Work with Board Treasurer to prepare monthly financial report.
- Prepare an annual budget, including expenses and fundraising income.
- Supervise and direct the Development Director (part-time position), PR agency and any other contractors and consultants.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the organization.
- Other duties as assigned and required.
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated experience in project and special event management; preferably in a membership organization.
- A desire to directly solicit philanthropy gifts and sponsorship from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Self-starter, energetic and empathetic “people person”.
- Ability to manage own administrative support (i.e. meeting scheduling and management; email management, etc.)
- Strong communications and qualitative research skills; strong written and verbal skills required. Experience in social media is highly desirable.
- Comfortable with office management systems, including Excel, Word, Dropbox, Constant Contact and Salesforce. And basic website management.
- Direct experience in fundraising for a non-profit organization(s) strongly preferred, but not required.
If interested, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I only want to send 5 candidates to Band of Parents. I don’t want to overwhelm them. I would like to send them the 5 candidates by Monday, August 12th. I’m sure you can phone interview and August is “slow.” But if you’re not ready to dive in by September, don’t apply.
Looking for the “best” and the best is always all IN!